First of all - the Colette Peony. Remember ages ago I scored some beautiful barkcloth from the Paddington Antique Centre? Well, I did and it was a very exciting time! I cut this out Friday night, yes I know, what a rager, and had it completely finished by 4.30 the next day! I cut out a straight size 2, and didn't make any alterations, except instead of gathering the skirt at the waist I made pleats instead. The gathers with the heavy fabric were just not sitting right. I then made a bow belt using Tilly's tutorial found here.
Props to Colette patterns for making such a fabulous, simple pattern, A-line, boat neck, 3 quarter sleeves - A plus. Next time (and there will be a next time!) I will lengthen the bodice a couple of inches as I have quite a long torso, and I would probably add a couple of inches to the skirt length, as I only sewed a tiny hem and it just sits a little higher than what I usually like. But this is a winter dress anyway given the thick fabric so I'll be wearing it with tights and brogues I think!
Here's a shot of the back
I have also been obsessively sewing gathered skirts because I love them. I made a black one not long ago and also recently made a denim version, seen below. I originally bought the fabric to make another Colette Ginger but the denim is lighter in colour and weight than what I wanted so instead of wasting it I made another high waisted gathered skirt.
Then I made one for work in cream cotton sateen to try and tie in some of the earthy coloured tops I seem so fond of making, seen here with another Tilly bow belt and my modified Simplicity 2501.
I also made a Colette Sencha for my mum as a surprise gift but alas, it was too small for her, sad face. I think it was the fabric I chose that made this such an unpleasant sewing experience and I don't know if many of you have tried this pattern out, but there was no way I could turn those skinny neck ties right way out. I had quite the tantrum and instead used a black ribbon and covered some self-covered buttons in matching black for the back buttons. This top wasn't great anyway with all the hand sewing and the key hole neckline pulls a bit so I don't mind so much that it didn't fit Mum as I'd like to sew her something amazing instead. I've got some fabric to make the Mathilde blouse now that I know what size she is that I think she'll love.
I went into Lincraft on my lunch break on Friday and they STILL don't have any copies of Simplicity 1609 that I got so excited about a couple of months ago, so I bit the bullet and brought a downloadable version instead. Then PrintSew failed to email me my login details and password so I had to chase them for it, sigh. Anyway I finally got an email yesterday with it, so that should hopefully be my next project, I've got some black wool in my stash and want to add a lace collar. I'm also playing around with good ol' New Look 6808, adding a tie collar to turn it into a pussy bow blouse with some very cool fabric so you'll be seeing that soon too.