Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mad Men Challenge

Julia Bobbin has kindly hosted round 2 of her infamous Mad Men Dress Challenge! I don't even think I had a blog last year when she hosted it the first one, so I was super excited when she announced a round 2 and I could play along!

Just look at these dresses from last year, I adore each and every one of them.

http://www.juliabobbin.com/2012/04/mad-men-dress-challenge-big-reveal.html

So the inspiration dress is one of Megan's that she wore a couple of times in season 4.  Simple, yet effective! Of course I had to go with a dress with an interesting collar/neckline because that just seems to float my boat, not to mention a contrasting trim! A match made in heaven.


So I went all out, unnecessarily, and got some cheap and nasty polyester to keep in with the 60s theme.  I kind of regret making it up in polyester, it's just so SHINY! Ha, but I will still wear it, probably just not to work.  Also, the fit was really large around the bust in the pattern I used, so the stretch weave was very forgiving in altering the dress. 

I used a vintage pattern - Butterick 2799 which I'd never sewn up before.  I love the version with the sleeves and am keen to make that version up at some stage, sooner rather than later now it's getting cooler and I've got some large floral vintage barkcloth that would work nicely.  It's made up with a v shaped seam from the side of the bust down to the waist, which would also look quite cool with piped seams.



Anyway, here is the finished product, in all it's glittery polyester glory.  I played makeups especially for the occasion.


I love the fabric I used to make the bias binding and collar, it's from a range called Country Garden from Spotlight for $4 clams a metre.  I just sewed up 2 separate pieces and sewed them up either side of the zip and sewed along the bottom to the shoulder seam.  Megan's collar is a lot wider than mine, but I'm happy with how mine turned out.


Invisible collar isn't completely invisible, and I could have gotten a closer fit at the high bust but it shall do for now.




Now for a bit of housekeeping, Bloglovin said I need to claim my blog by putting this code into a post or something something.  I'm confused by all these google reader changes, I never used it anyway, so long as blogger dashboard remains untouched I think I'm good.

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3960634/?claim=utvsspsv6av">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, it's lovely...spot on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just start following your blog a few days ago...love your style! This dress is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowser! This is absolutely awesome on you! You totally suit the Jiffy dress look! Rad work :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! This is fab. Amazing work! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. I love the contrasting fabric. I can't believe it was $4 a metre. I'll have to see if they have that range at my local Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great!! I love the bow detail and the contrasting fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the dress looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress is amazing. I can't wait to see all the creations for the Mad Men challenge, I wasn't brave enough to take part. Maybe for part 3 ...

    ReplyDelete