Follow this blog with Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Polka Dot Frock Fest

Hey hey, I finally finished my New Look 6000 which, as previously mentioned in my blog, I sewed up as part of the Polka Dot Frock Fest that Winnie from Scruffy Badger Time is running.  The aim of the game is to make any version of the pattern up incorporating polka dots somehow.

I really wanted to make it up in brown with cream spots to keep in with the retro style of the dress, but alas I could not find such fabric anywhere.  Then I found some in the quilting section at Lincraft (shh!) and it worked a treat. It seems a lot softer than the usual wrinkle prone quilting fabric so I think it will be fine this time. 

I took so many photos of this dress and this is the best of the bunch.  Ridiculous.  Standing in a corner in the dark surrounded by large objects, that's how you take a good photo, isn't it?! Although Luke's Fender Supersonic is quite a sexy amp.

I cut all my hair off about a month ago, the do goes nicely with this outfit!

This was the first dress I've made that hasn't been A-line, my hips are fairly out of proportion to the rest of my body so it was a real struggle to fit this one to my body.  I'm pretty sure my right arm muscle is twice the size from the the constant zipping up and down of this dress, ha.

Here's a close up of the fabric as it's not so clear from the photos.


I do believe that button was made especially for this dress.

I pretty much sewed up the whole dress on the weekend, not without dramas, one of the sleeves kept bunching up, I unpicked it and redid that sleeve THREE TIMES! I also broke 2 needles in the process and redid the zip twice! I got there in the end.

Getting better at those inzisible zips, even if I have to do have to revisit the Colette tutorial every.single.time.  It looks a bit wonky in this photo but it is actually completely straight and I just need to pull the dress down.

I found the pattern really well written and easy to follow, I LOVE that collar, it's why I brought the pattern in the first place.  I would like to make the dress again but change the design of the skirt to make it flare out into A-line, but I am really pleased with this dress, it's wearable as a work dress or a party dress, heels or flats. Yay, thanks Winnie for spurring me on to get it done and dusted!

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the group's finished products. 


11 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I wish I was organised enough to participate in this challenge.
    I love your hair like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps I'm giving it a spin and wearing it to work today! You could always participate in the mad men challenge? I'm thinking about it...

      Delete
  2. That is one of the best collars I have seen on this frock! Epic work! And rad hairdo :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Loving your sassy office worker outfit too!

      Delete
  3. Lovely fabric and great collar too, suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, I love your a-line version too and thanks for dropping by I was stalking your blog just the other day :)

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love the dress. I have the pattern (I've had it for some time in all honesty) and I've been meaning to do it. Seeing all these fab dotty frocks will hopefully get me into action.

    And your new hair is adorable, very Louise Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps! I love your portrait blouse too, looks stunning!

      Delete
  5. It looks terrific, what a great collar! How nice to see a more hot-weather friendly version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I love the longer sleeved version but I live in brisbane and its hot so I thought I'd get more use out of the capped sleeve version!!

      Delete
  6. This is such a nice dress and the fabric is really beautiful (I love polka dots). The collar is particularly amazing, especially with the brooch.

    ReplyDelete